The Caw race is a quiet evening out-and-back. It starts at 7.15pm from the Blacksmiths in Broughton Mills and follows the Dunnerdale route up the Knott, but instead of continuing up Raven Crag it contours right to head towards Caw. It comes back the same way – for most! – and you must visit the Knott checkpoint on the return leg too.
Entry is £4 outside the pub on the day. Parking is usually in a nearby field, but if it’s very wet we’ll have to use the road.
Don’t imagine this is an easy race just because it’s out and back and up one hill. It’s a lot steeper, rougher and more navigational than you’d think. Someone goes to Stephenson’s Ground every year and several people have ended up in the Duddon valley.
It’s also one of the nicest races in the calendar with varied terrain, proper fells, great views and a pub finish.
- Date & time: Wed 17th May 2023 at 19:15
- Country: England
- Region: Lake District
- Category: AS
- Distance: 9.3 km / 5.8 miles
- Climb: 550 m / 1804 ft
- Venue: Blacksmiths Arms, Broughton Mills, LA20 6AX
- Grid reference: 223906
- Skills: ER, LK, NS
- Minimum age: 16, U18s must have parental consent form.
- Fee: FRA Member: £4, Non-Member: £6
- Entry on day: Yes
- Pre-entry: No
Full FRA kit required: waterproof jacket and bottoms with hood and taped seams, hat, gloves, map, compass, whistle.
- Teams allowed: Yes, of 3.
- Race Organiser: Tim Ripper
- Telephone: 07731 433428
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Male Record: 45:57, Lloyd Taggart (2007)
- Female Record: 56:27 Jackie Hargreaves (2004)
Jackie Lee (2007)
- Second race in the BCR Bob Grieve series, trophies for man and woman with lowest combined time across the four Black Combe races (Black Combe, Caw, Dunnerdale and Kirkby Moor).